29 December 2013

iRobot Roomba 760 vacuum cleaning for pets and allergies


Dear diary,

I won't write a post about the things I've gotten for Christmas but one thing I had to talk about.

My mother gave me some money for Christmas and I purchased the perfect gift: a vacuum robot that cleans on its own so I can spend more time on my blog.

iRobot Roomba


Two weeks ago I finally decided on going to the allergist and they tested me for different allergies. It appears that I'm allergic to almost everything: some trees (olive, palm and pine), grasses, mites, cats, dogs and some other I don't recall. My allergies started when I was over 25 years old and it didn't bother me that much but as I'm getting older and weaker (I suppose) they have been improving or mutating and getting stronger and more annoying. This has also caused me an additional problem related to the fact that I'm not able to breathe normally as my nasal passage ways are almost always completely obstructed.

About three years ago I started having some problems with my voice getting hoarse. At first I didn't mind much as it went away after a few days and it didn't reappear until many months later. When it happened more frecuently I started worrying and I finally decided to go to the doctor. I've been visiting a speech therapist twice a week for an hour, but after 6 months and no improvement they put me on the waiting list for surgery: they have to cut out a nice polyp that I have gathered on my right vocal chord which keeps me from producing sounds above whisper volume.

The Allergist gave me a lot of written recommendations and as I cannot get rid of my cat, she's been with me since before the allergies came, I settled for the Roomba device instead. I was lucky enough to find a web site that was selling the 760 model with a 156€ discount.

We have programmed it to clean the house 3 times per week. The first time I got back home after it had done it's job it looked like the floor had been polished.

After two weeks my cat is finally getting used to the robot but she's maintaining a safe distance. She watches it carefully from the couch as she has found out that the robot is incapable of climbing up.

For the love of sharing,