13 February 2014

Best of Beauty: Haircare heroes


Dear diary,

It's that time of the week when we try to stir things up in the blogosphere with Samantha's  #BOBBlogChallenge. This week the chosen theme is all about sharing our haircare heroes.

My hair has always been my achilles' heel, it's very sparse, fine, oily and I get a mountain of split ends only by looking at it. I've always tried to take good care of it but nothing works, there's no way to get around genetic inheritance.

As I'm currently in the middle of another Challenge (no poo), I'm leaving you some other hair-related must haves:


  1. This Hot Oil Treatment  leaves my hair silky soft and weightless. I use this in the summer time, like once a month or month and a half.
  2. The Batiste dry shampoo is great to get rid of any unwanted oily shine in your hair so you won't need to wash your hair that often. Spray it to the roots, massage scalp and brush the excess off.
  3. A microfiber towel is much softer than the regular one. I just loosely wrap my wet hair and after a few minutes take it off and wrap again using the drier side, this way it gets most of the moist out of my hair before blowdrying it. I never ever rub my hair dry. 
  4. Before blow drying I put a bit of oil between my fingers and apply it to my damp hair ends, this one here is from Macadamia and I love it.
  5. After applying the oil I gently comb my hair using the Macadamia oil infused comb.
  6. Three times a year I take a hair-targeted supplement for a month.
  7. I use a boar-bristle brush on my dry hair to distribute the oils from root to ends.
  8. The Tangle Teezer is supposed to be better than any other brush to use on wet hair, you apparently get less breakage. True to its name it is the best detangler brush in the market.
  9. A satin pillowcase is said to prevent hair breakage and wrinkles -seriously hoping this is true, lol.
  10. Hairbands made from old tights. They are softer so they should cause less breakage. I purchased some Twistbands but these are much softer and cheaper, plus you get to recycle which is always best.
Other important hair care related steps I follow are:
  1. I clean all my hair brushes and combs regularly letting them soak into luke-warm water with some soap or shampoo for a few minutes, then take a comb and get all the hairs out of the brushes, rinse them with clean water and let them air-dry on a towel with the bristles facing down.
  2. A great detangler is some apple cider vinegar, don't worry, the smell will go once you've given your hair the final rinse. I've known this for ages but it's just recently when I started using it.
  3. I turn my shower to the coldest water I can manage for the last rinse.
  4. I use a leave-in UV-protection serum in the summer.
  5. When at the beach I wear a hat or a scarf to fully protect my hair.
  6. In the summer time I always let my hair air-dry and during the winter I stop when my hair is about 80% dry and let the rest air-dry. Anecdote: I blow-dry my hair in the car when driving to work, I put the air vents on high speed and medium temperature. Anyone else does the same?
See u next week for another great topic!