3 February 2014

Book review #2014 Blogger Challenge



Dear diary,

For the 3rd topic of the #2014BloggerChallenge we have to write a post about a book.

This year I've been drawn to dystopian fiction novels after reading The Hunger Games. I've just finished reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth and started reading Eve by Anna Carey. I really wanted to read the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch as they were recommended by Tanya Burr but I haven't been able to find them in epub format just yet. I tried purchasing them from Waterstones but they only sell inside the UK. I suppose I'll end up paying more and getting them from iTunes.

But I'm not going to talk about them as I figured they'd be the most obvious choice.

This post is about the one book (this makes me think of the one ring that rules them all and in the darkness bind them, lol), yes THE ONE book that I haven't been able to read from cover to end:

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
Umberto Eco Il nome della rosa
image taken from wikipedia
It's a murder mystery set in medieval times in an Italian monastery. Many of you may have seen the motion picture, me too. But the book is completely another story, you may think that it would be an easy read with the murder plot being unfold step by step, like an Agatha Christie or a Sherlock Holmes kind of story but I always get lost with the large and boring description of the monastery and I've never been able to pass the first 50 pages. And believe me, I've tried. After try number 5 I just gave up and got rid of the book, I didn't even wanted it on my bookshelf anymore. I just kept picturing the book making fun of me and smiling in a smug kind of way like he's come out of a fight victorious. Blah!

If you are curious about what kind of books I've read in 2013 you can access the full list here.

Good reading to y'all,