9 February 2014

No poo challenge weeks 2&3


Dear diary,

As I told you in a previous entry I'm trying to complete a 3-month challenge in which I'm trying to give my hair a rest from shampoo abuse.

I did a tiny bit of research and I got this out of it, I don't know if I got it right and I'm absolutely no expert, but a bit of common sense made think like this:

You need a shampoo with sulfates to get rid of all the layering of yucky products (silicones, parabens and petroleum products) you normally use to protect, soften and give shine to your hair. These per se are not bad for you but they aren't good either, they only give a false appearance of healthy hair on the outside. Sulfate on its own isn't bad either when used with moderation and when it's really needed. It is a strong and harsh cleaning substance that strips the hair off of its naturally produced protective oils, thus making you need to put oil back in, that's where the use of serums, leave in conditioners and oils come in. As your scalp feels there's no oil left it starts producing more very quickly so you end up looking like an oil slick the day after you've washed your hair and need to wash it again so it won't look so oily. So you end wrapped up in a vicious circle using a ton of products that only mask the appearance of your hair when in fact they aren't helping at all.

And you would think: you could use a sulfate-free shampoo. Yes, the problem is it would surely contain another product that would act the same way sulfates do, and we're back where we started...

I don't want to go into much more detail as it would make this a very long and boring post. Key here are my thoughts on how I'm dealing with the lack of shampoo in my life during these last two weeks.

Overall I have to say I'm really already happy with the results I've observed after just one week. My hair isn't that oily anymore and strangely enough it feels more voluminous. I don't like the feeling when washing my hair with baking soda as it doesn't lather like shampoo does but I suppose I just need to get used to it. It really works, though, when dry the hair feels really clean, maybe a little more on the dry side but I think that's because I'm not using any siliconey cover to trick me into believing my hair is silky soft. I used to wash my hair every other day and now it's down to twice a week but I wash it more for styling reasons not because it gets oily or dirty.



I'm still using the baking soda and the lemon juice + conditioner mix.  I'm also putting a tiny bit of any hair oil I have lying around on the ends before I blow dry my hair. Yesterday I bought a big bottle of apple cider vinegar as a detangler so I will see how that works. I kept using the dry shampoo as I had a look at the ingredients and I didn't get the impression they were bad for the hair, it helps me get a bit of volume on those blah hair days.

The second instalment of the #BOBBlogChallenge this coming thursday is going to be all about hair heroes, so I'll be focusing on accesories rather than hair care products.

For the love of sharing,