28 April 2014

April empties


Dear diary,

It seems like this month I've run out of a lot of products so I'll just start.


Celebrate body lotion (more of a body butter consistency) by Lush. It came in my Wow! box that I bought after Christmas with a 50% discount. Very nourishing but hard to work into the skin so I used it at night rather than spend an hour rubbing it in in the morning and risk running late for work. As all Lush products the scent lingers for a long time, this had a nice and fresh citrus scent.


I'm still to try the Bioderma micelar water but I heard a lot of people saying that the L'Óreal version was a perfect drugstore dupe so I gave it a go. The only downside to this is the packaging, when you pour the product out you have no way to measure the amount so you normally end up using a lot more than you need. As for the product itself it got all my make up off very gently, not my waterproof mascara, though but I tend to use a different make up remover for my eyes anyway.


Face mist by Aritaum, I got this from my trip to Tokyo, we were leaving and we still had some vouchers to use at the Lawson convenience store we had below our hotel. I picked up the first thing that caught my eye. Funny thing is it isn't even a Japanese brand, I think it's Korean but I loved it so much that I asked a friend of mine who was going to Japan to bring me a bottle and now I'm out of it and I haven't been able to find it online, boo hoo hoo.

It's a very fine mist with a faint smell of roses, I started using it as a primer as I saw a clear difference in the size of my pores when I weren't using it and I ended up using it as a toner as I don't normally use one and I wanted to so I thought this would be a good start.


Olay face wash, I got this by rummaging through my mom's bathroom and I decided she didn't need 5 tubes of this. Not my favourite face wash but it smelled very fresh and nice. I hate wasting products so I just kept using it a lot, it seemed to last forever.


Clarins extra-firming, tightening lift, botanical serum. This came in a gift pack with a night cream and a cleanser if I recall correctly. It's a deluxe sample size, it contains 10ml/0.35 Oz, so a decent amount in my opinion. I'm not so sure about the tightening effect, it just seemed very sticky when you worked it into the skin. I like serums to be a bit more watery and easily absorbed so you can layer your moisturizer, spf and foundation on top but if it leaves your skin feeling tacky it just annoys me and I end up using it only at nighttime.


Tarte maracuja C-brighter eye treatment. This was a pleasant surprise, it came in a Christmas gift pack and has been my first contact with this brand. It's only a small sample size with 2.5g/0.08 Oz product in it but the packaging is just beautiful and luxurious, it's a glass pot and the plastic lid has a sort of rubbery layer that imitates wood.

As for the product itself I have to say I'm equally happy with it, at first it seems to be a thick cream but when you apply it to the skin it transforms into a sort of mousse-like texture that glides over the skin and it's like it expands and covers a larger area than you thought it would with just the tiniest amount.


Wash gel with Grapefruit scent by Yves Rocher. I love me some citrus scents especially in the morning when I'm half asleep when I jump in the shower.


Worst product ever: Sephora micelar water. OMG how this stings and burns. I got this a while back when I first ever heard about micelar water and I thought this small bottle was great to give it a try. I'm so lucky my skin has never broken out or given me a hard time with acne or any other skin problems so I made myself use this thing up but I tell you, never ever again.


SPF50 Caudalie anti-ageing sunscreen. Good enough if you're going to the beach but don't try to use it as a daily sunscreen under your foundation, it's too thick and greasy.


SPF50 St Tropez with tan enhancer. Another fail product, it flakes and I didn't see any tan enhancing properties at all. It was just ok to use at the beach though so that's what I've done for the past two weeks.

I've been looking for the perfect sunscreen to use under my foundation for a couple of years now and I think I've finally found it. I'll tell you all about it in another post.

If you're wondering why my tubes are cut open you can find out all about it here.

I'm introducing a new category to my monthly empties: candles. I've recently become obsessed with them and I've already purchased quite a lot of Yankee candles. This month's favourite goes to the Baby powder scent.

For the love of sharing,