1 May 2014

#2014BloggerChallenge: Music


Dear diary,

The Eurovision Song Contest (ESC) or Eurovision is an annual song competition held among the member countries of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) since 1956.

As a little girl I loved watching Eurovision with my parents. We sat down on the couch with a pen and a large note pad where I would write down the contestants in order of performance. Each of us would give each song a score between 0-10 and try to guess which country was more likely to win that year. My father always used to give very low scores until he found one song he really liked. My mom and I, however even used half scores, we were that serious and professional, feeling like real judges.


As I grew older I always come up with excuses to tell my friends in order to stay home on that particular Saturday night so I could watch the song contest with my parents. I felt I had to hide the fact that I loved watching it as it was considered lame among teenagers.


I left home at the age of 18 but I kept the tradition of sitting down with pen and paper while watching Eurovision. My father passed away a few years later and as an only child I treasure the moments I spent with both my parents in those years where teenagers would normally prefer to go out with friends than staying home watching TV with the old folks.

Unfortunately, since televoting and SMS voting were introduced I lost a bit of interest in the contest as I felt voters would support their country regardless of the song being actually good.


To end this topic for the #2014BloggerChallenge I leave you a Youtube link to my personal favourite of the year 2012; and before you ask me: no, she didn't win :(

Nina Zilli - L'amore รจ femmina


For the love of music,