16 September 2014

#2014BloggerChallenge: My own version of Mac & Cheese


Dear readers,

As we were given quite an open ended topic for this 2014 Blogger Challenge post I decided to give you this pasta recipe/tutorial that's very easy but also very tasty. You can make a load full because it still tastes delicious when you warm it up the following day.


First you'll need some eggs, one or two will do depending on how much pasta you're preparing. I usually take two.


Some milk, from 1 to 2 litres. I start off with 1.5 litres and add more if I see it doesn't cover the entire pasta mix.


Grated parmesan cheese, this is were the tasty flavor comes from so I use two 100gr bags.


Of course, some pasta. I always use maccaroni but you can choose any other kind. You start boiling the pasta as usual for as long as the package says, I think 6-7 minutes for maccaroni. 


In the meantime you fry 400gr of bacon in a pan until they are crisp and golden brown, you don't need to add any oil or butter. You can use less or more, that depends on your personal preference, I started using 250gr but I love me some bacon so I kept adding more and more over the years.


While the bacon is in the pan you take your baking dish, mine is 35cm by 25cm and 5cm deep and put a layer of butter and some sprinkles of stock cube. You can use a smaller one if you're just making a few servings and adjust the amount of pasta, cheese, milk and bacon using only one egg. It's pretty easy just to eyeball it as you can never go wrong with this.


In a bowl you mix the egg/s with the milk and add some salt and pepper.


Start layering the pasta, the grated parmesan and the bacon, it usually takes 3 layers until I completely fill the baking dish.


Pour the milk until the pasta is almost completely covered, just add more plain milk if needed. Last step is adding a bit more grated cheese on top.


Finally you put it in the oven at 180ÂșC for about 20 minutes. You can leave it in for a bit longer if you feel the mixture is still too runny. And if you like a very crispy top layer you can switch your oven to the grating setting for a few minutes. You'll also need to leave it to cool off for about 5-10 minutes so that the egg mixture will completely harden.

I like pairing this with a fresh green salad and I love to sprinkle some tabasco on top, yummy !

For the love of comfort food,