23 October 2014

Healthy sales people?


Dear readers,

Many of you may prefer purchasing their make up and skin care products in a shop as you can feel the texture of the product, smell its scent and have instant gratification by taking it home with you.

I much rather purchase my products online, I like waiting for special offers and I don't mind trying out new things or waiting up to 2 weeks for the products to arrive. I like doing some research when I'm thinking of buying a certain product I haven't tried before and this gives me time to think if I really need that particular item or if it's just an impulse buy.

What I particularly don't like about make up counters are the pushy sales people, therefore I try to avoid them at all costs.

image taken from www.professionalacademy.com

A few weeks ago I met a friend of mine at an eco fair held in my hometown, she was accompanied by a girlfriend that immediately mentioned an organic beauty brand she was using. As I told her I was interested in all kind of beauty related products and how much I enjoyed trying out new things she asked me for my phone number so she could call me and give me more information.

I'm not giving you the name of the brand she's representing as I haven't tried any of their products and I don't want this to reflect badly on the company itself but I had to share this story with you: OMG how rude can a person be?

This is the text message I received from her after I'd told her I didn't want to purchase anything for the moment being (she hadn't even given me 24 hours to decide):

"Following to our conversation held yesterday I can see that you are not interested in natural products without petroleum, aluminum...etc. When people get sick sometimes it's too late and they never think it's going to happen to them. I've been lucky but two of my best friends, weren't. If you ever change your mind you can place your order through our web site. Regards,"

You have to know that this person has gone through cancer, I don't know what kind but she has been cancer free for 5 years and this has altered her way of life, always looking for healthier alternatives. But this gives her no right to threaten me with getting cancer if I don't purchase the products.

Even when I had told her I wouldn't purchase a moisturizer that was reduced in price because it was meant for dry skin and mine's extremely oily she wouldn't relent. I said I was happy to try out some of their other products when I had used up the ones I had at home. I also told her I had a friend who was very interested in finding a good organic skin care range. But even that didn't seem to appease her, she only seemed interested in converting me to her newly found vision of life. The text message from above came right after we had this conversation.

I haven't texted her back as I think her message doesn't merit any reply at all and, as you may have guessed, I won't be trying out those products. Way to go sales person! You've successfully lost a sale.

What are your thoughts on pushy sales people?