6 November 2014

The battle of the make up sponges


Dear readers,

Reviewing products is not my forte as I am the worst at describing things, even in my own language.

I did a lot of research before committing to spending 20€ on a single make up sponge until I finally caved and purchased the Beauty Blender (pink). Although I have to admit that I waited until I found it for 12,50€ and I recently got a new one for even less, you can read that particular BB story here.


I have to say that I immediately switched over to using the BB and left my foundation brushes aside. To me it gives a flawless application, it leaves no streaks and it even helps reduce my huge pores. As you use it damp it doesn't absorb much product but even so it's a nightmare to clean, you'll never get it all pink again. Aside from that it's really worth paying the extra cash.


After using the BB for several months I couldn't resist and ordered the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (orange) - sorry about it being dirty but I used it this morning to apply my make up as usual.  I wanted to compare both sponges as I was curious to see if I'd made the right choice. The RT is 3 times cheaper, selling at around 7€ but I also got this at a discount :)

At first touch I didn't like the feel of it while cleansing it before use. The texture reminds me a bit of the Tempur technology, you know, the viscoelastic foam that certain mattresses are made of. I thought it was a weird material for a make up sponge and that it wouldn't feel right on the skin.


Since I started using the RT sponge my poor BB has been left in a dark drawer without a glance of regret. I can't really say it applies better but it's definitely quicker which is what I need as I only have 15 minutes to get my make up done before rushing to work.

With the BB I use short bouncing motions to pat the foundation into my skin but with the RT I take the flat side and brush/swipe the product onto my skin. This makes the application so much easier and quicker with equal results. You could take an extra minute to bounce the round side of the sponge on your face for a final blending to get the air-brushed finish everyone is talking about regarding the BB.

And to my final advice: if you're undecided between these two make up sponges and you are not a beauty blogger who needs to try out every single product: guilty! I would undoubtedly go for the RT.

What are your favourite tools to apply foundation?

For the love of make up,