11 May 2015

Best setting powder for oily skin


Dear readers,

Sorry I didn't upload my Friday post last week. In my defense it's the first one I've missed since deciding to upload three times a week instead of my usual two.

Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot vs MAC Studio Fix


Today I want to talk about my newest find: One Heck of a Blot by Soap & Glory:

Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot vs MAC Studio Fix


I've been using MAC's Studio Fix for as long as I started wearing make up on a regular basis. My pores are the biggest pores known to mankind, they resemble lunar craters and they are extremely difficult to hide but the Studio Fix seems up to the task and helps reduce them in size.

As we never seem to be entirely satisfied, I wanted to try to find a drugstore alternative. I first went for the Rimmel Stay Matte as Tanya Burr raves about it in all her vids, but it just didn't work out for me. For some reason it looks very visible on me, it makes me look cakey as soon as I put it on, even with the slightest touch.

Some other Youtuber, I can't remember which one was talking about the Soap & Glory powder and I thought I'd give it a go since I love the brand and was planning a trip to London with my mom last December (they don't sell Soap & Glory in Spain, not even at Boots International).

Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot vs MAC Studio Fix


So I went and got the powder in the Boots at Gatwick airport and forgot all about it until a few weeks ago. Before that I was trying to use up the Make Up Forever HD powder but I just couldn't make it work. It doesn't keep my oiliness at bay, it even seems to help increase oil production and makes me feel like a BP oil rig.

Soap & Glory One Heck of a Blot vs MAC Studio Fix


Going back to my trusty old MAC Studio Fix I noticed it wasn't working as well as it used to. It may have something to do with my new SPF. I've used up all my Japanese SPF that I got on my trip to Tokyo and I'm trying out a new one by Eve Lom. As soon as I put it on I look like a disco ball. I try to remove the excess oil with a blotting sheet before putting on foundation but it only helps for an hour or so. After that my skin starts looking very oily all over and I need to blot so often that my boss thinks I'm having a very bad case of diarrhea.

The day I picked up the Soap & Glory powder by mistake when doing my make up I was pleasantly surprised on how well it performs. It doesn't add any color to your complexion, it's totally invisible, it doesn't cake up when you start layering it up and it almost completely hides my pores.

This powder stays true to its name: One Heck of a Blot!