27 May 2015

The best order in which to apply make up


Dear readers,

Being as I am, an only child I've never had anyone teach me the different ways of applying make up products. I couldn't even ask my mom as the only make up she owns is lipstick.

From the moment I started feeling curious about the world of make up and thanks to YouTube and all the great beauty gurus or whatever you want to call them, I've been recompiling information about the tips and tricks for the perfect way to apply your make up.

image taken from We Heart It

This is a list that I came across at the Spanish Birchbox's website:
  1. Primer
  2. Any type of foundation
  3. Concealer
  4. Highlight and contour
  5. Setting powder and/or bronzer
  6. Eyeshadow from light to dark
  7. Eyeliner
  8. Curl lashes
  9. Mascara
  10. Falsies
  11. Brows
  12. Lips
  13. Blush
Personally, I don't agree with this. 

First of all, I think that rules are meant to be broken and that many make up artists have reached their status by changing the game and introducing new techniques or ways to use a certain product for a totally different purpose.

Only we can know what we feel comfortable with and what technique or product works best for us. 

When I attended make up classes I was told that the trend of applying eyeshadow before foundation was for lazy or careless make up artists as you weren't supposed to let any fallout hit the cheeks of your customer. Never agreed with that one but I could see where it was coming from.

Why do we keep thinking that the good old days were better? Are we so afraid of change?

Here in Spain we hate wine bottles with screw caps instead of cork ones and when someone orders a 15-year-old whiskey with coke we all go like *SHOW OFF*

We're supposed to have learnt some tolerance and to keep an open mind, to respect other people's points of view and the things they like without judging them, but I don't think we're quite there yet.

What's do you think?