6 July 2015

Summer faves #1: Sun care


Dear readers,

If there were some sort of SPF-police I'd make sure to turn in my application ASAP.

I remember the time when I used factor 2 and felt like I was well protected. In my defense, SPF wasn't a big thing back then and it wasn't until later that people became aware of the importance of using sunscreen.

Most of us already know about the do's and don'ts of sun exposure but it's better to be safe than sorry, they say, so I'm listing the rules that I can remember:

  • Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before sun exposure
  • Reapply every 2 hours or 80 minutes in case you've been swimming
  • Use at least SPF15, although SPF30 is preferrable
  • Avoid direct sun exposure between the hours of 10:00 to 16:00
  • Even in the winter you should use a moisturizer/foundation with SPF 
  • Clouds offer little to no protection, don't be fooled by them
  • A strong breeze mitigates the heat but the UV-rays are equally harmful
  • Don't forget your eyes and wear some good protective sunglasses 
  • Not all beach umbrellas or awnings offer good protection, be wary of them
  • Drink tons of water, not soda (sugar), water

Summer faves: Sun Care products

My personal recommendations would be:

  • Apply sunscreen at home, naked, so you'll make sure not to miss any spots
  • Don't forget to apply sunscreen on your feet and ears (front and back)
  • I like using a targeted anti-wrinkle SPF cream for my face and chest area
  • Wear a hat or cover your hair to prevent it from drying out and fading
  • If you don't like reapplying sunscreen at the beach, leave after 2 hours
  • Always carry some SPF with you in case of the unexpected
  • Don't overdue sun exposure when on holidays, if someone asks you back home just tell them you were partying day and night or just fake-tan it

As for my favourite sun care products this year:

Bioré UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF50+


I love using Japanese sunscreen on a daily basis, they are very lightweight, sink right into the skin and don't mess with the foundation I put on top. Not to be used for sunbathing, though, not sure why but I think I read it somewhere not long ago.

Eve Lom Daily Protection + SPF50


This is a recent purchase of mine that didn't work out for what I intended it to. As I have very oily skin this thick formula messes up my foundation and makes me look like a disco ball right after application. I'm now using this on beach- or no makeup-days.

Philip Kingsley Daily Damage Defence

Philip Kingsley Daily Damage Defence. Anti-breakage, heat protecting, conditioning spray. 

Although I always cover my hair when I'm at the beach I need to protect it on a daily basis. I don't walk in the sun very often as I'm either at the office or at home but I'm not risking it. I haven't noticed this product giving my hair any weird texture and it doesn't weigh my hair down. It doesn't smell particularly nice but the smell fades almost immediately.

Garnier Delial Ambre Solaire Golden Protect SPF30


I'm not going into how much I love this product. I've raved about it so many times that I'm getting very bored of myself. It gives you the most beautiful glow, it doesn't feel sticky or oily and it smells nice enough for being a sunscreen.

Yves Rocher Protectyl Végétal after sun lotion


Very lightweight but nourishing formula, it smells divine even though I'm not particularly keen on nutty scents. My skin feels a bit drier than usual during the summer months and this worked perfectly last summer so I'm keeping it on my shelf.

Collistar anti-wrinkle after-sun face treatment


Even my oily skin needs some deep moisturizing after a day at the beach and this product feels very nourishing and refreshing at the same time. I love the scent, it reminds me of my all time favourite perfume Ysatis by Givenchy. The texture seems thick at first sight but as it blends into the skin it turns into a more gel-like formula and is very quickly absorbed.

What are your favourite summer products? Any tips I've left out?