29 August 2015

The most delicious paella


Dear readers,

It's been a long time since I shared a food related post with y'all. Food is so important for various reasons. Of course you need fuel to stay active and have strength to tackle all your tasks on a busy day but it also brings joy when you savour a deliciously prepared dish, especially if it's something that you don't eat on a daily basis.

On my birthday I wanted to invite the in-laws to a special and delicious lunch. The parents of one of my dearest friends owns a restaurant called La Portuguesa where I've never been to even though they've been known for their excellent fish dishes for over 40 years!
Salads are the most common starter for a Spanish lunch or dinner meal. My favourite vegetable, although it's technically a fruit, are tomatoes. I could eat tomato salad every day, all year round. Tuna adds a nice flavour and has a more filling effect when put into a simple green salad.  
Paella is a well known Spanish dish that originated in the Valencia region. The original one is made with duck, chicken, rabbit and snails. There are a few more common paellas, such as the paella mixta (mix of fish and meat), fideua (instead of rice it's made with pasta) and arroz a banda (usually only rice that has been cooked in fish broth). Less known outside of Spain are the arroz caldoso (soupy rice), like the one I'm showing you today.
Arroz caldoso con bogavante or stewed lobster rice is a delicious dish that I've only eaten maybe 3 or 4 times in my life. Technically, it's not a paella but then, there isn't such thing as a paella dish although that's what we all call them. The paella is actually the pan in which the rice and other ingredients are prepared in. They are round, shallow and have two handles on opposite sides.
As the original "paella" comes from Valencia, here in the Alicante region we just call them "rice" and the variety is endless. Arroz al horno (made in the oven) is one of my favourite recipes to prepare on a lazy Sunday. Maybe I'll share my recipe on a post next time I prepare it.
As for dessert we just couldn't decide so we settled for a bit of everything (from left to right):
  • Leche condensada con nata y galleta rallada -  condensed milk & cream pudding sprinkled with cookies
  • Flan al baño María - creamy custard
  • Claras de huevo batidas con chocolate - whipped & baked egg whites with chocolate cream
Bon appétit! 
Have you ever eaten paella? Please comment below.