16 November 2015

Spanish delicacies: Piononos


Dear readers,

There won't be any Mani Monday posts for a few weeks until I get my nails strengthened and ready for Christmas so I thought I'd continue with this food related series.

My downstairs neighbor and friend is originally from a small town in the Granada region. He visits quite frequently and when he does he always brings back some kind of food. Last time he went he brought me a box of Piononos
They came in a box like this, there were 12 of them and they were deep frozen so they could survive the journey (about 4 hours drive).
The ingredients are very simple: water, sugar, eggs, starch, flour, glucose, spices and cream of tartar.
The only way I've come up to to describing this is by comparing it to a plain muffin with a wet consistency and a sugared toasted cream on top.

According to the Wikipedia a Pionono has two parts: a thin layer of pastry rolled into a cylinder, fermented with different kinds of syrup which give the pionono a sweet and pleasant texture, crowned with toasted cream. 
I had never tried them before although I knew about them. They were very nice and I ate half the box but I have to say that they aren't mind-blowingly delicious so I won't be having them again unless my neighbor comes knocking on my door with another box.

More on Spanish delicacies:
- Sobaos Pasiegos
- Miguelitos de la Roda