23 May 2016

Blenders: Breville Blend Active vs NutriBullet


In January last year I decided to swap my usual tea and cookies for a more healthy breakfast. During the week I never have time to have breakfast before leaving the house in the morning so I need it to be easy to transport. Smoothies seemed the way to go for me.

After some research I decided to get the Breville Blend Active blender from Amazon UK. A year and a half later I can definitely say that it's the best purchase I've made in a long time. I've been using it almost every single day and I can really tell how much it has improved my skin.

A few days ago my mom's boyfriend came back from the UK and brought me a present: the NutriBullet blender. It had been my initial choice when looking for a blender but I'd decided that a cheaper alternative would work just as well. I haven't given it a try yet but there's a couple of things that are making me doubt if I'm going to keep it or give it back.
Blenders: Breville Blend Active vs NutriBullet
It's only a tiny bit bulkier than the Breville but not by much so that's not an issue for me. It's double as powerful though, featuring 600W but I've had no problem with the Breville crushing frozen bananas and berries.
Blenders: Breville Blend Active vs NutriBullet
The blades are pretty much the same, the Breville's are pointier and smaller but that's about it.
Blenders: Breville Blend Active vs NutriBullet
The NutriBullet comes with two kind of blades, though: an extractor blade (left) and a milling blade (right). I've had no problem with using the one blade that comes with the Breville for milling and blending. This is going to take up more space in my already crowded little kitchen.
NutriBullet blades
The large cups can hold up to 600ml (Breville) and 650ml (NutriBullet), so pretty much the same amount of liquid. The taller and slimmer bottle has a more ergonomic design to carry with you. The wider version is easier to clean up as you can fit your hand in it but I'm used to getting a spatula to press down the sponge and clean up the bottom of the Breville cup.
Blenders: Breville Blend Active vs NutriBullet
As you can see from the picture bellow the Breville cup is easier to drink from as it features a flip top lid with a nozzle, the NutriBullet sells them separately but apparently they cost a small fortune. The handle from the NutriBullet is adjustable  to any of the cups but you can't use it in conjunction with the lid what makes it a bit of a nuisance when you're on the go.
Blenders: Breville Blend Active vs NutriBullet
Of course I could use a straw to drink out of the wider cup or transfer my smoothie to the Breville cup, but that would defeat the purpose of using one container for both blending and drinking.

The NutriBullet is more versatile and powerful, it could be used to dice or chop up veggies in a second. Preparing salsas and mousse-like textures could be done with both devices, I feel, but the wider opening of the NutriBullet cups would make it easier to get the product out. Not that I've ever used the Breville for anything other than making smoothies but it's something to take into account.

What are your thoughts? Which one should I keep?