20 June 2016

Vacation Haul: Portuguese Delicacies


I think I've well established my love for food & wines in previous posts. We've just come back home from our vacation in Galicia and Portugal. Instead of buying souvenirs like magnets, key holders, pens and such we prefer to bring back something food related to give to our friends and family. 
The last Parador hotel we stayed in is the first and only one that has been opened in Portugal for now: Casa da Ínsua. They have their own winery and they also produce different kind of jams, olive oil, honey, cheese and much more although these are the ones that you can purchase directly from them. They also sell a lot of pottery and gorgeous crockery but we aren't very keen on those.
We prefer red wine over white and rosé so we took one of each: a small bottle to give to the in-laws and the 2010 and 2012 wines for us. We already had a glass of the 2012 with our dinner the previous night so we already knew it would make an excellent choice for a souvenir.
They only make two types of cheese: young and matured, we picked one of each. 
I don't have much of a sweet tooth but the hubby does, so we picked some honey for him, my mom and our friends, an apple jam for the in-laws and a 1/2 liter olive oil for me.
This is the hotel seen from the backyard. I have some amazing pictures to share with y'all but I'll leave them for a future post. I don't want to overload you with all the amazingness. If you ever have the chance to visit this hotel I'd highly recommend it. It's only a hour and a half from Porto, Coïmbra and 3 hours from Lisbon. The food and wine are delicious and the scenery is beyond amazing.